PASSIVE FIRE PROTECTION
The publication of IEC 60695 GUIDE 1-1 (First Edition) “Part 1: Guidance for assessing the fire hazard of electro-technical products” marks an increased focus on the risk of fire caused, fuelled or propagated by the products that make up an electrical system. For years Sati Italy has been committing resources in creation of an expertise on “passive protection”. The so called “measures to prevent fires” are the measures and actions that have been identified in order to reduce the causes and effects of fire. The main objectives of fire prevention are:
- safeguarding human life;
- protecting material goods, which are either directly exposed to fire, or which are in the vicinity.
- training (teaching about fire hazard and security measures, use of protective systems);
- passive protection (choice of materials with known characteristics of fire retarding properties and their application within the prescribed parameters, partitioning, testing and maintenance);
- active protection (detection and extinguishing systems);
- fire extinction (fire regulations and fire fighting).
- reduce the occurrence of fire;
- limit smoke and flame;
- plan for the safe and orderly evacuation of occupants;
- prevent the spread of fire to adjacent areas or buildings;
- avoid structural collapse and damage to structural elements;
- put in place effective defence systems (extinguishing systems and fire fighters).